| Read Time: 2 minutes
Featured Image Articles

After a car crash on an Alabama road or interstate, most people immediately call 911 to report the crash.

Typically, the Alabama state troopers or local police will arrive at the scene within minutes to help.

Thereafter, law enforcement will investigate and prepare an accident report. The accident report contains crucial information about the parties involved and how the crash occurred.

As a result, most people in a car accident do not directly file an accident report. They just call 911 and rely on the police to handle it.

However, Alabama law requires you to report a car accident with the Department of Public Safety in two scenarios.

Personal Injury, Death, or Property Damage Over $250

If the crash resulted in personal injury, death, or property damage over $250, you are required under Alabama law [AL Code § 32-7-5] to file a SR-13 Crash Report within 30 days.

Once completing and signing the SR-13 form, you must mail it to the following address:

Driver License Division
Safety Responsibility Unit
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36102-1471

Failure to do so can result in suspension of your driver’s license.

In the event of a single vehicle accident, you still need to file an SR-13 if you damaged someone’s property.

Property can include signs, mailboxes, fences, telephone poles, etc. Again, damage to this property must be greater than $250.

Damages Over $500 Caused by an Uninsured Driver

If the crash resulted in damages over $500 caused by an uninsured driver, you are required to file a SR-31 Accident Claim Form to report your damages.

After completing and signing the SR-31 form, be sure to mail it to the following address:

Alabama Law Enforcement Agency
Safety Responsibility Unit
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36102-1471

If you are unsure how to report the crash or what to file, our car accident lawyers can help you file the paperwork with Alabama.

Our car accident attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve after a car accident.

We can help you report the crash to the police. Your attorney will also make sure an accident report is properly filed after a thorough investigation.

They will also use this information when negotiating with the insurance company.

The team at Fob James Law Firm has over 40 years of experience helping car accident victims fight for their rights and just compensation.

We understand the stresses and frustrations that come after a car accident, so we strive to provide kindness and compassion when you need it most.

Our team takes on fewer cases to provide our clients with the highest quality legal representation.

We offer free case reviews and will obtain your accident report for you at no chargeContact us today or call our firm at (866) 837-1010, and let’s discuss your claim.

Author Photo

Fob James

Fob James obtained a B.S., in software engineering from Auburn University and then continued his education by getting his J.D. from Vanderbilt University School of Law. After working for a large regional firm for several years where he obtained awards for both individual and corporate clients, Fob found that his passion was fighting for individuals who have been seriously injured or wronged by others. Fob believes that the jury is the great equalizer to the power and influence that large corporations have in society.